Pages

Illustrator: Frank Morrison





In Atlanta, in the very building I work in, I get a chance to meet some of the most amazing artist in the country. On any day I may run into Big Boi from Outkast, Daddy-o from Stetsonic, even Jill Scott has been spotted in the area. Just a few doors down from my studio is the one of those people. He's Frank Morrison. Often times when walking through the building I'm stoped cold in my tracks watching the brother create or spotting a new piece of his work. The brother is prodigious, he must create one or two new pieces a day.





The work is reminiscent of the great Ernie Barnes (think TV's "Good Times" closing portrait or all of JJ's work for that matter). But that's were Frank's work begins. From there he mines memories of a collective African American life experiences. Then he exalts the colors, engulfs the actions, re-imagines the movement and allows you to visually relive a moment you may have never experienced.






Frank Morrison was born in Massachusetts and then moved to New Jersey. He grew up during the early days of rap music, graffiti and break dancing. He was a well-known graffiti artist and an accomplished break dancer who was part of the Sugar Hill Gang's dance entourage. It was during one of the group’s European tours he got a chance to visit the Louvre in Paris and was so intrigued by the magnificent art that he decided, at that moment, to return to his roots and become an artist. https://sites.google.com/site/mayuradocs/PinIt.png

1 comment:

Wardlaw said...

Nice post. Art is my passion! I gotta hang out with that brother. On my way down to the Plex!